My guests today, Wayne and Anna Saucier, have been working nomads for over 13 years. They left their home in San Diego, California in 2017 to travel the world. They are currently in Thailand with their two young kids.
Prior to leaving the United States to travel the world as working nomads, Wayne and Anna both worked location independent and had their kids in part time childcare. Since leaving, they have found it difficult to not have structured childcare. During our discussion we talk about life before and after traveling full time with kids.
Additionally, I talk to Wayne and Anna about needing good WiFi and the stress that can cause when they do not have it. We also discuss our responsibility as working nomads.
00:55 – Introduction
02:08 – Background information
- Anna and Wayne’s inspiration to travel.
- Life before traveling full time as working nomads.
- Finding childcare while traveling can really help.
- What is sustainable and not for their family while traveling.
— BREAK —
07:19 – Why this lifestyle
- Before vs after traveling.
- The challenges of rising costs in the US.
- Why we choose this life and stay on this path even though it’s not easy
11:10 – The path to working nomads
- Being a digital nomad and location independence.
- Making the transition from client work to online business.
- Managing timezones and working with clients on the other side of the world.
— BREAK —
18:03 – Logistics of working while traveling
- Finding reliable WiFi.
- A preference to staying in cities.
- Working and WiFi in Chiang Mai Thailand.
- How coffee shops in Thailand can be tricky.
- Why Wayne prefers using McDonalds and Starbucks for working.
21:51 – Responsibility of digital nomads
- Being responsible working nomads while working in coffee shops
- Wayne’s coffee shop post
24:26 – Tools while working and traveling
- Some of Anna and Wayne’s gear while traveling.
- Buying a portable hot spot – Huawei mobile hot spot on Amazon (affiliate link)
- Using a local SIM card vs US based phone plan.
- Anna talks about adjusting mindset of family needs.
29:04 – Final Thoughts
- Reducing our stress while traveling.
- Counter balance and the myth of balance.
- Location independence and living as working nomads.
32:45 – Plugs
- Family Adventure Summit (familyadventuresummit.com)
- Anna’s work with women’s health and family planning (annasaucier.com)
- Wayne’s project to help people become location independent (6sf.io)
35:10 – Closing
A full transcription of this episode is available here:
Follow & Share
FOLLOW US AND SPREAD THE WORD!
If you liked this show, please be sure to subscribe on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or Anchor.fm, and leave us a review! You can also leave a comment below.
We Will Wander is part of The Wandering Daughter network – thewanderingdaugher.com.
Thanks for listening!